Thursday, August 22, 2013

Bradley Manning Wants to Live as a Woman Called Chelsea

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Bradley Manning, the US soldier jailed for 35 years for the largest intelligence leak in US history, has released a statement in which he says he wants to live as a woman called Chelsea.

A statement from Manning, read on NBC News's 'Today' programme, said that as he makes the "transition" into the next phase of his life, he wants "everyone to know the real me."

"I am Chelsea Manning," the statement reads. "I am female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition.

"I also request that, starting today, you refer to me by my new name and use the feminine pronoun (except in official mail to the confinement facility). I look forward to receiving letters from supporters and having the opportunity to write back." » | Chris Irvine, Raf Sanchez in Washington | Thursday, August 22, 2013

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


NBC NEWS – TODAY: 'I am Chelsea': Read Manning's full statement » | Thursday, August 22, 2013

NBC NEWS – TODAY: Bradley Manning: I want to live as a woman: Bradley Manning, the Army private sentenced to military prison for leaking classified documents, revealed he intends to live out the remainder of his life as a woman. » | Scott Stump, TODAY contributor | Thursday, August 22, 2013

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy